I give you this post in hope that you'll stop whatever it is you're doing and MAKE THESE CUPCAKES! This recipe by Mama Pea may be one of the best cupcake recipes I have ever tasted!
by Mama Pea (Sarah Matheny)
Ingredients (Makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 c. organic sugar (can substitute 1/2 NuNaturals Stevia Baking Blend)
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. decaffeinated coffee or water
- 1/3 c. canola oil
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 t. vanilla extract, divided
- 4 oz. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- 1/4 c. organic sugar
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
- 2 T. whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Mix oil, vinegar, coffee or water and 1 t. vanilla in a liquid measuring cup and add to dry mix.
- Stir until just combined.
- Meanwhile, in a smaller bowl, combine “cream cheese,” sugar, remaining vanilla and 2 T. flour.
- Add chocolate chips and set aside.
- Fill muffin cups halfway full with chocolate batter (using about half of the batter), and then spoon a bit of cream mixture on top of each cup.
- Top cupcakes with remaining chocolate batter.
- Using a knife, swirl the batters together in each muffin cup.
- Bake for 23 -28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- They looked better coming out than they did going in.
- Dust cupcakes with powdered sugar, if desired.
They were divine. ;-)
Three of my siblings are at camp right now and Dad left to drive to school and spend the week at his
- first PhD classes (!!!!!) -
so it's just Mom, Em, and me. I'm gonna go put on my pj's and watch a movie . . .