12.13.2011

>> Blog-mas Day 1 // Favorite Christmas Carol

I have so many favorite carols. Wexford Carol is my favorite, but also I love Once in Royal David's City, Silent Night, Lo How a Rose E're Blooming, and of course-------What Child is This 

(Rembrandt)
What Child is this who, laid to rest
On Mary’s lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.


Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.
Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.


So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him;
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.
Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

--Written by William Chatterton Dix. He was born in Bristol, England, in 1837. He attended the Bristol Grammar School and later managed a marine insurance company in Glascow, Scottland. At heart, he loved the poetry of worship. He died in 1898, in Cheddar, Somerset, England. He is buried there at the Parish church. In the course of his life, he wrote over forty hymns.

(source: cyberhymnal.org)


I love the tune this carol is sung to, an old English folk song, Greensleeves.
A favorite piece for violin is Ralph Vaughn Williams' Fantasia on Greensleeves.


3 comments:

  1. I know, I love Silent Night. I thought about making my own video, but I didn't have time :)

    do you want me to do any more linking :) Like, do you want the button to be in every post? Just wondering :)

    I had fun posting this, it'll be fun to do the other ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really pretty song!

    http://meghanelizbauman.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/blog-mas-day-1/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Child is This is one of my top 5 Christmas songs too.

    Blogmas 2011 - Day 2: http://wp.me/px8N5-pO

    ReplyDelete

I <3 to hear from ya!